Welcoming an MLA student into your home will not only be a rewarding opportunity for our Italian students, but for your family as well. Having a global perspective and learning about new cultures and customs can be a truly enriching experience. Join the MLA network of host families in the USA and change a student’s life and YOUR FAMILY forever!
Here’s how it works
• The exchange student lives as a member of your family (not a guest), participates in family life, and attends the local high school
• Students come with medical insurance and spending money to cover personal expenses like school fees, phone, clothing, etc.
• Host families provide room & board and loving parental guidance (and are eligible for a monthly stipend to cover living expenses)
• A Local Coordinator will provide support and assistance to you and your student throughout the hosting experience
Steps to becoming a Host Family
1. Complete a Host Family Application
2. An MLA Local Coordinator will contact you to set-up a home visit and interview
3. Receive an MLA student file for your consideration
4. Agree to host an MLA student
5. All members in the household over the age of 18 must complete a background check
6. Local Coordinator comes back to offer an orientation prior to the student’s arrival
7. Pick-up your student from the airport and start your once-in-a-lifetime experience!
WHY HOST FOR MLA
WHAT DO OUR HOST FAMILIES AND STUDENT HAVE TO SAY?
WHAT RECOURSES DO WE OFFER OUR HOST FAMILIES?
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
There are many different types of host families that qualify for our program, including: single parent families, families with children of any age, families without children, retired persons, and even single people with a strong desire to host. Host parents must be at least 25 years of age and be able to take on the financial responsibility of hosting a student.
Most students are between 14 and 18 years old and attend high school.
MLA conducts all pre-screening of student applicants in-house. Students are required to submit complete application materials including current medical records, at least one teacher recommendation, official academic transcripts, English proficiency exam results, an essay, and a questionnaire. Students participate in an interview with an MLA ESL Teacher ensure a level of English proficiency that meets most our high school’s enrollment criteria. Students also are required to meet with a Child Phycologist to ensure they are prepared for this experience.
Our students are here on an academic and cultural program. They must attend and participate in school full time and maintain a C average in all course work. Students are required to participate as a family member and are expected to follow host family rules, which can include performing family chores. MLA students are considered ambassadors for Italy; their attitudes and behaviors must reflect the highest standards set by our program.
Most of our students arrive in August for a 10-month academic stay, returning to their home country in June. Some of our students only come for a semester, which consists of a 5-month stay. Some semester-students arrive in August and stay until January and other students arrive in January and stay until June.
Yes, you will receive a monthly stipend to cover living expenses, but that is not all–the hosting experience will hopefully enrich your family’s life and build lifelong memories and friendships.
Students come with full medical insurance during their program. Any expenses not covered by insurance are the responsibility of the student and their natural parents.
The student’s natural parents agree to send adequate spending money. This money should be enough for personal hygiene items, clothing, social activities, transportation, trips, school expenses, and telephone calls to their home country.
You are not obligated, but if your family is taking a vacation, you may include your exchange student. Keep in mind that the MLA program is an academic program, and travel will only be permitted for students who are meeting their academic standards. Participation in these trips is the financial responsibility of the exchange student.
Welcome to MLAWORLD.COM
Summer Courses – Destinations